GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Staff Development Coordinator is responsible for identifying, coordinating, and providing the staff training and development necessary to provide the highest quality person-centered services possible. They will ensure that the agency is in compliance as it pertains to the timely and satisfactory completion of all trainings required by licensing/regulatory agencies. The Staff Development Coordinator will also support Human Resources to ensure thorough administration of HR functions and documentation, record keeping, monitoring, and follow up.
This is an Exempt, full-time position reporting to the Deputy Executive Director of Operations. In carrying out position duties, they will perform in accordance with professional ethics and established policies. This incumbent is expected to function with substantial initiative, independence, and good judgment.
Staff Training and Development
- Develop and continually refine an initial and on-going training plan for all newly hired direct support staff as well as existing direct support and administration staff.
- Conduct- in conjunction with fellow staff- new hire orientations on a biweekly schedule and as needed.
- Coordinate and schedule new employee onsite training at the program sites.
- Maintain the Therap Training Management System (TMS) to monitor mandated training schedule and enter into TMS the data of those who have completed.
- Schedule, conduct, and/or administer required training (i.e. CPR, First Aid, Medication Administration, Med Refresher, Human Rights, HCBS, and Positive Behavior Supports, etc.) as required for staff certification or re-certification.
- Monitor/track 30 Day Follow Up for newly hired direct support staff to assess training progress and needs while coordinating the delivery of as indicated.
- Coordinate with the Director of Residential Services as well as the Deputy Executive Director of Supports to determine which additional training and support may be required and/or of value.
- Coordinate with Program Directors to seek out and provide staff trainings and tutorials to reduce workplace safety concerns, ensure best practices, and reduce overall safety/injury incidence as needed.
- With Senior Management, solicit and review all training opportunities that arrive from staff and/or outside resources to determine organizational benefit.
Human Resources Support
- Track and report the timely completion of Performance Evaluations (PEs) and input that data into the Therap system.
- Assist Managers/Directors in the preparation of probationary evaluations by reporting on the progress of the completion of training requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date staff personnel files.
- Assist in performing administrative functions of the background checking process, which entails the timely submission of forms/prints to the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) as well as with the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS).
- Other job related duties as assigned by the Deputy Executive Director of Operations and/or the Executive Director, which would include assisting in the recruitment process (i.e. screening, reference checking, and interviews, as needed.)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Human resources practices and procedures ideally focused towards staff development and training; Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services (DBHDS) licensing and the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) regulations for providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities and Medicaid Waiver programs- especially those that pertain to the required training of direct service delivery staff; a firm understanding of the agency mission, best practices, and the needs of the individuals to determine best resources and staff development opportunities.
Skills: Strong organizational skills; developmental skills; efficient and effective monitoring of training curriculums and programs; good oral and written communication skills; solid proficiency with computers.
Ability: To interact well with staff as well as outside agencies and resources; seek out and develop productive relationships with community resources.
SUGGESTED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree plus at least one year of experience.
40 hours per week with the possibility of working a flexible schedule with night and weekend hours as required by trainings being coordinated.