Website The Arc of the Piedmont
The Direct Support Professional (DSP) for The Arc of the Piedmont is responsible for the implementation of person-centered plans through teaching and assisting the people we support in a community based residential setting, or in one of our Adult Activity Program settings. DSP’s maintain required documentation and reporting, assist with personal care as needed, foster a warm and caring home environment and initiate in-home and community based recreation activities. A high school diploma or equivalent is required and, as always, we seek creative innovative individuals with an eye towards providing the greatest quality of life possible for the people we support.
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Full-time, 30 hours per week. Sun-Tue 10:30p-8:30a
- Implements the Individual Service/Program Plans by effectively teaching and supporting individuals as outlined in the plan. Applies positive, non-aversive approaches (i.e. Safety-Care, Positive Behavior Supports) to providing support.
- Observes individual participation and progress in meeting Individual Service or Program Plan’s goals and objectives. Assists the Day Support Manager in the development and/or revision of Plans to better meet each individual’s needs.
- Assures a caring, stimulating program environment. Initiates projects that create a supportive program environment, involving individuals in this process to the furthest extent possible for each individual. Provides recommendations to the Day Support Manager for program changes.
- Maintains daily, weekly and other regularly scheduled documentation and reports regarding individual activities, programs and their progress. Maintains required documentation within specified timeframes. Uses professional, person-centered language in the completion of all documentation.
- Assists individuals with medication administration to assure accuracy. Monitors clients to assess medication effectiveness, side effects and reports observations to Day Support Manager for follow up. Notes and reports errors in medication administration.
- Plans and initiates a variety of on-site and community-based recreation activities, which incorporate individual preferences and skills as well as concepts of self- direction, interpersonal competence, and community engagement.
- Assures the safety of individuals and makes reasonable efforts to protect individuals from harm, abuse, neglect, and exploitation. Immediately reports any concerns or observations of potential harm, abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
- Utilizes necessary equipment to assure the safe transfer of clients, as well as protects oneself from personal injury (i.e. training and use of the Hoyer Lifts.)
- Assures the program facility is safe and secure. Immediately reports any safety concerns identified and takes action to address any concerns. Utilizes and contacts emergency services including local law enforcement as needed.
- Provides safe transportation to clients when necessary for daily commuting, employment, healthcare needs, and functions of community life.
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled Attends other trainings and meetings as required to maintain knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Provides residential day support to homebound Adult Activity Center participants when the Adult Activity Center is closed or delayed due to inclement weather.
- May involve, as required, personal care which may include some or all of the following: toileting, changing briefs, bathing and feeding.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
The Arc provides paid training such as Medication Administration, CPR and First Aid, all of which are required for employment. We are always interested in hearing from candidates interested in direct support work. Starting pay dependent upon experience and education. Relief positions are also available, working on an as needed basis.
Please be aware that our agency has implemented mandatory Covid vaccinations for all staff. In order to come on board with us, a new hire must be fully vaccinated and also provide us with proof of vaccination.
To apply for this job please visit arcpva.org.